Thursday, November 18, 2010

Broken

Mid October Olivia had her first swim meet.  Just before her meet she slipped on the pool deck and hurt her arm.  She still swam, getting second place.   She told us after the meet that her arm hurt and we thought maybe it was bruised.  So, next week, another swim meet.  Again, second place.  Two more weeks of swim practice every day for two hours.  Finally, Olivia came to us complaining that her arm hurt to swim at first, then turned into a stabbing pain, and finally would just go numb.  That is when we decided that maybe she wasn't just trying to win the award for best dramatic actress.  We took her into have her arm x-rayed, and the Dr.. couldn't get an accurate reading.  So, off for an MRI.  We found out that her arm had a small fracture, with a couple of pieces of cartilage floating around.  After meeting with an orthopedic surgeon, she may have to have surgery to get the pieces out.  We meet again at the end of the month to figure it out.  Needless to say, she had been off of swim team since we found out.  I feel like I should be receiving the "Mother of the Year" award!  She has been a good sport through all of it and I think is secretly relieved that she has more time for her social life (which I am hoping to lead her more towards homework!!!).

No comments: