Sunday, October 24, 2010

My Dad

Thank goodness my dad doesn't read my blog or he would kill me.  Mom, sorry if you are mad that I am posting this...On Wednesday I received a call from my mom and I could tell that her voice wasn't quite right...even after the first couple of words.  I asked her what she was doing and she told me that she was sitting in the emergency room.  My dad, while working on replacing their roof, fell off and was heading for X-rays.  I still get worked up almost one week later typing this.  I am sick to my stomach that I cannot live closer.  Anyway, he had a very bad fall and broke his arm (which he was told a couple of days later that he would never have complete mobility of again) and broke four ribs and is very bruised and battered.  I cannot imagine the complete terror running through my mom as she witness this fall. 
Many have said, why was your dad at his age up on the roof?  For those of you that do not know my dad or would even ask that, do not know him well.  My dad has always prided himself in doing his own work and not asking for help no matter how difficult the task may be.  I think about it and find it so amazing that he can still do the same work that he did so many years ago when the roof was first put on by his hands.  The only difference is that he is a little slower at his work now.  Maybe I hold my dad a little too high on a pedestal, but he is my dad and I think he is one of the most amazing men in my life. 

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Hope your sweet dad recovers soon!