Friday, March 6, 2009

Volunteering...

Today I was able to volunteer at the Draper Temple Open House. Yesterday I didn't think that was going to be possible due to a couple of my children having some health issues and my husband being out of town. Today I woke up extra early and found that it was beyond easy to get myself ready and my children ready for the day. I even had time to do two loads of laundry. I am sure of the reason why...
While at the devotional before the actual volunteering at the temple, we were warned of high winds, cold weather and possible snow. We were also warned of grumpy people, people with physical needs, and other parking issues. We were not warned of protesters. Toward the end of my four hour shift outside parking people, a very good friend and neighbor that was in charge came up to me and told me that he needed to be at the temple with the sisters (sisters usually only are placed at the temple) because the police were on their way to the temple due to protesters. I couldn't believe it. I am always so horrified that people do not want there to be freedom of speech and religion. They claim to want all of these rights, but when it comes down to it, they only want us to believe what is popular at the moment. Sometimes being conservative is not popular, but is necessary. I am very vocal when there is something that I don't agree with and it took a lot of energy to NOT say anything to these people who were on private property yelling horrible things to everyone. I was outside for four hours in cold weather and was not cold once until I saw the protesters and heard what horrible things they had to say. Being LDS to me is much more fulfilling than constantly changing my views to fit the constantly changing world.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

What a bittersweet experience.